Built of rose red brick with stone quoins, the Elizabethan manor house looks today much as it must have looked to its original owners. The architect is not recorded but the facade is of the typical and simple style often used in the period, with two outer gables and a smaller central gable forming the letter ‘E’. Originally the front entrance was on the south side leading up steps into the Great Hall.
The house was completed in 1583, supervised by William Dodington who had bought the manor a few years earlier. It remained in the family until passing with Anne, the only surviving grandchild of the Dodingtons, on her marriage in 1660 to Robert Greville, Lord Brooke.